Thursday, March 31, 2011

First Outside Ride: Not What We'd Hoped

Last Saturday my husband and I finally took our bikes out for a spin.  We were extremely anxious to get outside for the first time this year.  About one minute, literally, into the ride both my husband and I couldn't feel our hands.  We had underestimated how cold it was that morning.  It was absolutely frigid.  We started at our house and took a pit stop about six miles away from home. 

My legs felt really good during the ride.  I was definitely a bit rusty but six miles in I was feeling like a champ.  After our pit stop, we decided to turn around and head back home to grab some warmer gear.  About a half mile away from where we turned around, my lovely husband pops his tire.  At this point I was thinking, "You've gotta be kidding me."  I was freezing, I couldn't feel my hands, and now we had a flat... on our first ride of the year.  Awesome.  

Just in case you haven't figured it out yet, we weren't too smart on this ride.  I had my nice little knapsack full of all the stuff I thought we'd need but did I think to take a repair kit or spare tire?  You'd think!  I can't tell you how many times I've called myself an idiot over that.  I absolutely love riding and I couldn't wait to get out there and in all my excitement, I apparently forgot my brain. 

Apart from being freezing and totally unprepared, I thoroughly enjoyed riding outside again.  I cannot tell you how much I've missed it.  These Utah winters are hard.  I crave riding all winter long and have to make do with training inside.  Once we get my husband's tire fixed, we'll be back on the road in no time.  

As you can see in the pictures below, we aren't dressed like normal cyclists.  We knew it would be cold so we wore pants over our cycling shorts and jackets over our tops.  These aren't the most flattering pictures of either one of us, but I had to post a picture of our first ride!  My husband doesn't usually look like a lumber jack with his beard and I don't usually look like I just popped out of bed but hey... it was Saturday morning.  Give us a break. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment